
Read our Monthly Magazine
And support our mission to provide fearless stories about and outside the media system
Reform-backer and former Conservative chairman Nadhim Zahawi has been accused of peddling falsehoods on national TV after claiming Farage-rival and comedy candidate Count Binface received “£180,000” from Labour donor and Ecotricity founder Dale Vince.
On Friday 14 August, Reform UK’s Nadhim Zahawi appeared as a guest on ITV’s Good Morning Britain, discussing the Clacton by-election result. The vote saw Reform leader Nigel Farage return to Parliament last Thursday, following the by-election he called to counter standards investigations into his funding.
Host Kate Garraway noted that the anti-Farage candidate received 9,455 votes, securing over a quarter of the vote in an election where the main opposition parties did not stand.
Reform defector Zahawi replied: “Yeah and he got, by the way, he got I think £180,000 from Dale Vince, who is a big Labour supporter. He got activists from the Conservative Party and from Labour going out to try and knock on doors for him.”
His statement follows a report in the Telegraph on 9 July stating: “One of Labour’s biggest donors has pledged to fund Count Binface in his Clacton by-election battle with Nigel Farage…[Dale Vince] could donate up to £180,050 to Count Binface to spend on campaigning materials during a by-election.” However, no donation appears to have been made from the businessman and activist.
ENJOYING THIS ARTICLE? HELP US TO PRODUCE MORE
Receive the monthly Byline Times newspaper and help to support fearless, independent journalism that breaks stories, shapes the agenda and holds power to account.
We’re not funded by a billionaire oligarch or an offshore hedge-fund. We rely on our readers to fund our journalism. If you like what we do, please subscribe.
In a statement on social media, Count Binface – real name Jon Harvey – wrote on Friday Zahawi’s claim was “untrue.”
“Dale Vince has never donated any money to me, and at no point have I asked activists from any other party to knock on doors for me. If anyone did so, it was not at my direction and was of their own volition.
“I’m sure Mr Zahawi will want to correct the record at his earliest convenience.”
Dale Vince told Byline Times Zahawi’s claim was: “untrue, totally false, a fantasy.”
He claimed it was “unconnected with reality and unchecked by anyone at Reform (no-one asked).”
“Who does that?”
Vince claims ITV plans to run a correction and his team is set to contact Zahawi. ITV has been contacted for comment.
He confirmed he had donated nothing to Count Binface.
“Reform plays fast and loose with the truth, not just dodgy donations. There are five million (secret) reasons why complaining about someone else’s funding is just plain daft. Even if it were truth as opposed to fantasy,” the green entrepreneur added, referring to crypto billionaire Christopher Harborne’s pre-election ‘gift’ of £5 million to Nigel Farage.
Zahawi defected to Reform UK this January, claiming he did so to protect free speech. The former Conservative was briefly Chancellor in the dying days of Boris Johnson’s premiership, calling for Johnson to resign less than 48 hours after being appointed to the top economic role. Johnson then did resign, only for Zahawi to later endorse calls for the former PM to return to the top job.
Zahawi had previously strongly criticised the Reform leader. In 2015, Zahawi told LBC that previous remarks made by Farage were “deeply racist,” and comments of which “Goebbels would be proud” – referring to the Nazi propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels. Zahawi has since disowned previous criticisms of the Clacton MP.
Reform UK and Nadhim Zahawi were contacted for comment.
Got a story? Get in touch in confidence on josiah@bylinetimes.com
holding farage to account #reformUNCOVERED
While most the rest of the media seems to happy to give the handful of Reform MPs undue prominence, Byline Times is committed to tracking the activities of Nigel Farage’s party when actually in power






